In today’s episode, you’ll hear the powerful story from Deanna who writes at Recovering Women Wealth.
Deanna would bounce around the world while sprinkling in college which she graduated from at age 28.
By that time she had already been married and divorced but found her passion in teaching.
Unfortunately, she then became addicted to drugs and alcohol and found her self six figures in debt.
Thankfully at age 36 she got sober and now at 46 is debt free and on solid financial ground.
Listen to one of the more powerful episodes we’ve ever had and let us know what you think.
- Her parents were good with money and she was rebellious
- She knew money was necessary to be able to get out on her own
- Deanna did some learn some money lessons but they didn’t sink in until much later
- She admits that they wanted for nothing and were middle class
- Deanna’s parents also saved up for her college
- Her dad was a successful salesman and her mom stayed at home
- She would end up bouncing around while sporadically going to college
- Deanna would end up in Europe, Colorado, and Ohio
- At 25 she was married and 27 she was divorced
- Deanna would also have to file for bankruptcy because so much debt was in her name
- At 28 she would finish her undergraduate degree and find her passion in teaching
- While it took her 10 years to get her undergrad, she got her graduate in just one year
- To pay for her lifestyle during all this she would rely on being a waitress
- She started out on a promising career in education as a mathematics teacher
- Then someone from her past came back to her life and got her hooked back on drugs
- She stopped teaching and got offered a job at a country club she used to work at
- Unfortunately, it was a job surrounded by alcohol
- Deanna would continue to spiral and found herself six figures in debt
The Turning Point
- She recalls seeing three paths including insanity, death, and a glimmer of hope
- At 36 she realized she was done and quit cold turkey
- She was able to do this without entering a treatment facility
- Instead, she just utilized anonymous groups
- Her money journey started to turn around too
- A church friend introduced her to the Dave Ramsey techniques
- Now four years she was making a lot of progress but still had struggles
- She would end up losing her house due to foreclosure
- Now with little debt remaining, she was extremely motivated
- At age 43 she made the decision to move in with her parents to accelerate things
- She became debt-free in December 2017
- Today she works in the insurance industry and loves her job
- She started that career-making $40k and is now up to $70k
- Deanna is actually looking to take a year and volunteer at an orphanage in Uganda
- We can’t wait to see where life takes her and her powerful story
- Financial freedom > Retiring Early: Deanna is 46 and not near the end of her FI journey but she feels so free without the burden of debt
- Use these powers for good: I love how this community takes there freedom and uses it help others the way Deanna does
- It doesn’t have to be a sprint: Deanna has made huge strides but many would not feel comfortable taking a year off but that’s what she wants to do so she can volunteer at an orphanage in Africa… and that’s pretty awesome!
Call to Action
If you know someone facing addiction, send them Deanna’s story. Even if you don’t, we all have bad habits. Face one unhealthy habit this month and eliminate it!
Join the Community
We’d love to hear your comments and questions about this week’s episode. Here are some of the best ways to stay in touch and get involved in The FI Show community!
- Sign up for our exclusive newsletter
- Join our Facebook Group
- Leave us a voicemail
- Send an email to contact [at] TheFIshow [dot] com
If you like what you hear, please leave a rating/review!
Connect with Deanna
Via her blog at Recovering Women Wealth
Check out our Sponsors
Skillshare is an online learning platform with 30,000+ classes in design, business, and more. Join the 5+ million students currently on Skillshare and make yourself a MVSH (more valuable side hustler)! Use our custom URL Skillshare.com/FiShow for 2 free months of premium membership access. There are no commitments, it’s free to start, all the classes are free, and all the material is taught by experts. Check out Skillshare today to see how you can level up your skillset.
Learn More About Your Hosts
Fly to FI (Cody’s Blog)
Saving-Sherpa (Justin’s blog)