In today’s episode, you’ll hear from Gina who you can learn more about at Horkey Handbook.
Gina grew up poor but graduated college at 19 and began a string of successful careers.
After burning out in corporate America, she decided to try her hand at entrepreneurship.
Now she is running several successful online businesses aimed at helping others become entrepreneurs themselves.
Listen, learn, and let us know what you think.
- She grew up poor and money was always a challenge
- As kids, she’d have to buy her own clothes even in middle school
- Gina started babysitting at age 11
- But Gina was always driven to make something of her self
- She actually started going to college while she was an 11th / 12th grader
- This allowed her to graduate college just before she turned 20
- The program is a special thing that Minnesota does and is free
- Then she ended up getting married at 21 and settled down in her hometown
- After college, she worked for a company helping people reach fitness goals
- Then she’d transition careers into being a financial advisor
- Gina was working 60 hour weeks but was learning a ton
- It’s obvious that Gina is an extremely hard worker
- This means that she thrives in a commission-based jobs
- Her biggest advice for these type jobs is to sell something you’re passionate about
- She gives some interesting insights into the life of a financial advisor
- Gina would stay in this career field for 10 years
- Just before leaving the corporate world they started preparing for a change
- Her husband quits his job in 2013 to be a stay at home day
- She knew she wanted to be an entrepreneur and started investigating
- Gina would start freelancing in several different areas
- Then she did some virtual assistant working
- By 2015 she was full-time entrepreneur
- Her corporate job had been paying about $60k before she left
- She talks about a lot of the success and benefits
- One of which is they take a 2-month vacation to the beach in Texas every year
- They actually unenroll their children from school every year and home school them
- There were some struggles though
- She felt guilty being close to her kids but having to work all-day
- Gina now has a separate location on her property to work in
- It really helps her separate life and work
- Gina does struggle with taking on too much work
- This year she actually stressed herself out so much she grew a dependency on alcohol
- Luckily she is now been sober for over six months
- Then Gina goes over some tips for managing stress
- Her and her husband are both frugal and don’t want a lot of flashy things
- She does, however, believe in investing in herself
- Gina actually pays $3k per month for a business coach and it’s totally paying off
- Her and her husband also utilize a personal trainer
- Then Gina goes over a laundry list of businesses she’s involved in
- These include virtual assistant, freelancing, and Pinterest courses
- Some of these are branching off into niches
- Such as podcast virtual assistants
- Control your income: Gina talks about how a sales-oriented career puts earning power into your own hands
- Commit Cautiously: Gina put so much into her businesses, but at times pushed herself way too far
- Branch successes: When Gina finds something is working she doubles down and finds another angle to also go after
Call to Action
Invest in something that will improve your life. Whether business, fitness, or anything that makes you happy.
Join the Community
We’d love to hear your comments and questions about this week’s episode. Here are some of the best ways to stay in touch and get involved in The FI Show community!
- Sign up for our exclusive newsletter
- Join our Facebook Group
- Leave us a voicemail
- Send an email to contact [at] TheFIshow [dot] com
If you like what you hear, please leave a rating/review!
Check out our Sponsors
One of the best ways to protect your family is with term life insurance. Even though we don’t like to think about it, it’s important to have financial protection in case the unexpected happens. Bestow is an awesome and reputable life insurance partner of ours that makes this process simple and easy. They use data to remove the doctor visits and paperwork involved with the traditional life insurance process. And you can apply from anywhere in just minutes. You don’t have to jump through a bunch of hoops to determine your eligibility, you’ll receive an approval response right away. It took me less than 1-minute to get my estimated quote, and you can go and do the same.
Learn more about Gina
Via her website Horkey Handbook
Learn More About Your Hosts
Fly to FI (Cody’s Blog)
Saving-Sherpa (Justin’s blog)